Sunday, August 24, 2014

Louisa Faye Callahan Fryer 1930-2014

I flew out of Singapore Friday, 4 July, hoping to see mom before she dies. She received word that she had cancer 2 weeks ago and she is declining fast.  It will take over 28 hours to get to her.  Because of the international date line I fly out on Friday morning and will arrive about 10 pm during the 4th of July fireworks.  She has gone down so fast and I'm without phone or Internet service, I will not know until I land in Medford Oregon if mom will still be alive.  I want so much to be able to feel my mother's arms around me one more time but it is not to be.
My brothers pick me up from the airport and we drive the 45 minutes to the nursing home in Grants Pass where mom has been transferred.  I don't think she knows I'm here but I hold her hand, stroke her face and tell her I'm here and I love her.  I sleep the next 2 nights in the nursing home in the bed next to mom.  At 4 am of the 2nd night, 6th of July, the nurses wake me up to tell me mom is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment