Sunday, April 7, 2013

We have arrived!

David drove us down to Salt Lake City to catch our flight. We do not travel much so check in has changed since we flew last. Fortunately he knew what to do and helped us through the process. He watched as we walked down the hall. Probably wondering if his parents were going to be able to find their way to the mission field.

We were fortunate that Elder and Sister Beus from the Tri-City area was also going to Malaysia. We got on the plane at 9:45 pm and flew to San Francisco. We had about an hour lay over then onto the 777 Singapore Air. You could get really spoiled flying on Singapore Air. They brought us hot towels to wash our hands before each meal and the food was wonderful. The flight attendants were very attentive to all needs and requests. It was a long flight.... They had a screen showing a map where the plane was and how many more hours were left. The hours dragged by. The plane flew up the coast of America, over Canada, Alaska, over Russia and back down between Korea and Japan. We landed in Hong Kong. Everyone got off with their carry on then those who were going on went around and up a flight of stairs to get back on the same plane. Then we were on our way again to Singapore We left on Monday, April 1st about 9:45 pm and arrived in Singapore April 3rd about 11:45 am. The airport in Singapore was state of the art. Very nice.

We gathered our luggage and went out the doors to be greeted by Mission President Mains and Sister Mains. President Mains took our picture with his wife. Sister Mains is the daughter of John and Myrna Bell in out stake. I grew up with her. She was 2-3 years older than me. She was one of the girls I looked up to as a girl and was a wonderful role model for me. It was a little touch of home to see her. Lots of hugs and then we were on our way.

We went on a tour of the church building and mission offices, had an orientation, went to their home to freshen up and then out to dinner. We were treated to Italian dinner. Yum! Hours of lost sleep and jet lag hit us and we were in bed by 7:00 pm and were awake again at 2:30 am. Body clocks taking time to adjust. We did fall back to sleep about 4:30 and got up at 6:30am. The Mains fixed us a large delicious breakfast. They told us about their schedule. They are rarely home. They are flying all over the mission. And at conference their two counselors were called to be Seventies. It will probably make the stress level higher until they are replaced.

We had a meeting with President Lai (Singapore Stake President) (over church education also) . Then off to the airport to fly to Kuching.

No comments:

Post a Comment